The automatons are becoming more active every day in the children's learning processes. They are also so much fun that you will hardly be able to resist the idea of building your own homemade robot for children.
Building a robot can be quite an adventure, depending on the level of complexity you decide to do. However, in this case you are going to make a simple android that you can build at home with the kids. To build what you will need to have on hand are the following materials.
You must gather the following materials, most of which are easy to find materials.
- Two geared motors (or DC 3V-6V single shaft gear reducers).
- One square battery or two AA batteries
- A small wire
- Two adapters for batteries
- A switch
- A plastic straw.
- A can of soda
Once you have completed all the materials you are ready to start building your own homemade robot for children in a very simple way,
- The first step you're going to do is grab the two gearmotors. You glue them with silicone to the widest base of each of the batteries so that they stand up.
- You must wait for them to dry completely before joining both pieces. Each of the gearmotors have white pieces protruding from each side. Then you must join the two parts by that internal blank part, using a little silicone in the same way.
- Uncover the tips of the small wire at both ends. Pass one of the ends through one of the ends of the gearmotor in the hole it has for it. Repeat this procedure with the other gearmotor.
- Use the two battery holders by placing them on the gearmotor connection at the bottom. In the same way, join a red and a black cable in each of each battery holder to the cable that you placed before.
- The red and the black wire that is left over from the battery holder must be stripped, and attached to the small switch.
- Test the power on to verify that the connection is made properly so that you can continue with the assembly of your homemade robot for children.
- Once you have verified that the connection works, glue the cables to the structure so that they remain immobile inside the android.
- Cut the straw in half. You place it low behind your automaton, matching it to the fold so that it forms a right angle, so that when your automaton walks. The straw will serve you to mark the step, give stability and not fall.
- Cut the can so that you can completely remove the base, you can help with scissors or pliers.
- At this point start gluing the entire top of the robot. The sides and paste the can, without it completely covering the android.
- Paint the can, decorate it how you want your homemade robot to look like, draw a face with one color. Also, you can use two pieces of straw to make arms or make antennae. By gluing two open and bent clips.Once you finish the design to your liking then you are ready to power up and run your automaton
Building an android can be very simple. In fact, you can find models with different levels of difficulty. From simply a silhouette made of cardboard to a homemade robot for children that can move, speak or interact.
Robotics is a fascinating area that you can fully exploit with the little ones in the house. Which most likely everyone would enjoy equally.
Why should you build a robot at home?
Robots are fun. They help you make the most of creativity, they help you learn about some basic physical and mechanical processes, stimulating your engineering and artistic vein.
Preschoolers may have a better understanding of artificial intelligence than you might think. Research from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has shown the success of teaching with artificial intelligence in children as young as 4 years old. It provides them with information that helps them program automata to learn patterns or features in the data. This is a process in which parents benefit by allowing them to reinforce healthy self-confidence in young people by modifying their own language and behavior, encouraging children to take apart AI-powered devices, and talking to them about where the devices get their intelligence. .
The skills you need to engage in the process of building your own homemade robot for kids bring together a number of higher level skills such as good design principles, thinking about motion in three dimensions, abstraction, feedback in systems, problem solving of systems, solving real-world problems, etc. This is the application of basic math, physics and engineering learned in school and focused on the real world, and put it in a very useful context. It is something that we all should have been able to appreciate when we were in school, but now we have the possibility to offer our children.
In addition to all the advantages of androids, they are currently present in many areas of daily life and in the future their presence will continue to grow stronger, so learning a little about how they work and the benefits of their interaction in your life provides the ability to help you in the unfolding of your life. In fact, educational systems are showing that building homemade robots is an activity that is not only super fun, but at the same time is a nutritious educational experience that allows you to help your children develop their interests in technological issues from early in their lives, laying down the basis for future studies.
What other options can you choose to build a homemade robot?
If you think that building an automaton by yourself and from scratch is too complicated, you can choose robotics kits specially designed so that you can build your own homemade robot for children, these types of kits contain the parts and instructions so that you can build your android step by step at home. It is probably not as creative as the idea of being able to design your own example, however it is very educational and has finely thought structures to contribute to your learning during each step of the construction of your robot.